Monday, March 23, 2009

Guest Blog Post from Kristy Colvin, IMDSA President


My Grandson, Austin Michael Smith

I am the Grandfather of a child with Down syndrome, to be more specific a rare form called Mosaic Down Syndrome. The lady who graciously agreed to let me post this article from her own blog is the President of the International Mosaic Down Syndrome Association. I believe that her article expresses my sentiments in a much more civilized way than if I would to post my own thoughts on our illustrious President Obama and his sick joke while on the Tonight Show last week.

I encourage all readers to visit her sit and learn much more about Mosaic Down Syndrome and the very important Special Olympics.

FYI - March 21st is National Down Syndrome Day. I challenge all to learn more about it.



Changing Perspectives One Word at a Time

Published by kristy under Down syndrome, In the News, Information for Down syndrome, International Mosaic Down Syndrome Association, Programs for Down syndrome, Services for Down syndrome, World Down Syndrome Day, advocacy, disability, mosaic Down syndrome, the "r" word Edit This

The big news for the weekend was supposed to be all about World Down Syndrome Day. This very special day set aside to celebrate the lives of those with Down syndrome. People throughout the world who know someone with Down syndrome or have Down syndrome themselves celebrated in various ways and educated their communities about who people with Down syndrome really are. When you google the topic of World Down Syndrome Day, you get 2,080,000 results. That is a lot of people spreading the word!

However, in the midst of all this celebration, US President, Barak Obama insulted those with Down syndrome and other special needs when making his comment about Special Olympics. When you google that, you get 3,730,000 results. Imagine if this had happened in the middle of the week! The results would have been much higher I imagine.

It is important to remember that it doesn’t matter if you are for or against Obama being president. The fact is that he is president. A leader of a very powerful nation. Someone that many look up to. Someone who children want to be like. Someone who represents America.

And, as a representative of America, I expect my representative to represent my feelings and my beliefs. My feelings and my beliefs are in line with what this country was founded on. That ALL people be treated equal. This does not just mean skin color, religion, or culture. This means ALL people. People with different abilities. People in wheelchairs. People with developmental delays. People who are Blind. People who are Deaf. People with extra chromosomes. People with missing chromosomes. People who are short. People who are tall. ALL people means EVERYONE.

Sure, that won’t happen all the time. Sure, there are many times when I disagree with what happens. And, yes, there is very little that I can do to change people’s perspectives. However, I can make a difference one person at a time!

On March 31 everyone throughout the world will ban together to stop the “r” word. The Special Olympics has called for a National Day of Awareness for America to stop and think about their use of the R-word. The R-word is not “recession”, but something more hurtful and painful-”retard.”

Although Special Olympics is calling for this in America, I would like to challenge each of you, no matter what part of the world you are in to educate others in your country that words do hurt. Words do make a difference. And encourage them to stop using this word. Replace your “r” word for one much more accepting. Replace it with RESPECT. To find out more about this and purchase a Tshirt or button you can go here; http://www.specialolympics.org/03-31-09_Spread_the_Word.aspx

2 comments:

Stopthepresses2 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mad Mom said...

As the older sister of a person with special needs, I really appreciate your article. Obama's senseless remark indicates a remarkable lack of maturity and class. He is a shameful excuse for a man, never mind a POTUS.